Thursday, October 28, 2010

Tree of A Thousand Stars ( Serissa Foetida or Snow Rose )

I was attracted to this miniature plant when  I saw it. The vendor told me its name is  "Tree of  a Thousand Stars"  - fascinating name indeed.   It won't ever  grow to be a tree ... it is really  too small. A shrub ? Even that  sounds hardly possible looking at its  size ! Probably will take ages...... :- ).  Needless to say I bought one plant since I really like it.


Notice the white edgings on its small pointed leaves and  how the leaves are formed like a  tiny star ?  Cute.  I do not see any buds nor flowers on the plant.  The vendor said this plant will bloom very well, that is why it is called ' tree of  a thousand stars' !  I guess this plant must be a rather young plant as the stems are rather thin and tender.  Later, checking around in the internet, I found  out that this plant is actually popular as a Bonsai plant and there are  many  of its species around.  The pictures on the some of the sites are really great,  and the flowers  when in  bloom may be  tiny but looks attractive, very delicate looking,  And indeed this plant is a prolific bloomer. I kind of like the pink  flowers variety, but the vendor had informed me that the one I bought has white flowers.  

I bought this plant almost 2 months ago  and it is doing very well.  It is an easy plant to care for, although it does shed some yellow leaves now and then in the beginning.  The weather had turned very hot recently, with spells of heat wave,  so I moved it out of the sun. I think it did not like that, so I had to move it back.  This plant is indeed  very responsive and  shows its displeasure immediately by shedding yellow leaves!  That is good -   this  plant can certainly communicate...... lol  !  This plant although small  sized,  grows fast.  I pruned those branches sticking way out  and stick them into some  soil.  I was surprised  to see the cuttings take root easily !  Amazing! It is a  bonus  since  I like this plant a lot  because of its small size, I was thinking it will be perfect for me to grow them as border plants around the bigger plants, so I will have plenty of them in no time....
 
Look at how much my plant has grown, despite being pruned at least once.

   Below are  a couple of the cuttings I successfully  propagated. 
 

Before I say 'ciao',  there is one point to take note. " Foetida "  stands for 'foul-smelling' in latin.  Parts of the plants is supposed to emit a rotting smell if damaged, but so far  I have  not smell  it yet.........! For those interested to grow bonsai, check this link out :- http://www.bonsai4me.com/SpeciesGuide/Serissa.html

4 comments:

Idhren said...

hi! i just got one of those for christmas, as a bonsai. I looked up on the internet, and it doesnt like if you moving it around, and thats why yours throwed the leaves off in no time. it throws its leaves for any kind of changing.
i am in love with mine and i hope you will post some more news about yours. you have beautiful flowers already.
really like your blog.


Zsóf

oh and the root is the smelly part, as i read it :)

Sun-ni Mi-ni Gardener said...

Hello Idhren,

I am pleased to hear that you like my blog. Thank you. Yes, my plant has started to bloom recently and I really enjoy looking at the petite flowers..... I am sure you will enjoy your plant very much as well. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year !

Unknown said...

hi..what a beautiful name'tree of a thousand stars'! last year i got a plant from a nursery.the vendor couldnt help me with the name of the plant.i have a feeling its this only. will post some pics tomorrow. do take a look n let me know if m right. secretly i want it to be my tree of thousand stars.:)
love

Sun-ni Mi-ni Gardener said...

Hello Swati Sen....! Yes, it's certainly a beautiful name...and I love this plant especially when it blooms, very pretty!