Saturday, October 16, 2010

Yesterday, Today, Tomorrow


YTT - Yesterday, Today, Tomorrow or Brunfelsia. I am not sure which species I have as there are many YTT around . What differentiates one species to the other, I am not sure because the flowers behaved the same way.  The flowers started of as  Purple (Yesterday), turns  pastel lilac (Today) and ends up white (Tomorrow) , so the plants will  have these three colors once it blooms.    My YTT seems like a slow grower, it has been a year since I bought it from the nursery, and it is hardly a foot tall !  The flowers exude a light fragrance that is rather pleasing.

 I did not realize this plant does not like too intense heat from the sun, since it was a tropical plant. Unfortunately I had already planted it on the ground and did not want to dig it up. for fear of killing it.  So alternatively I grew some other plants to provide it with some shade. Now after a year, I removed the other plant and the YTT  did not seem too happy being exposed to the direct sunlight. How did  I know? Well, the leaves started to turn an unhealthy yellow  instead of the lush pale green that is so pleasing to the eye.  Then the leaves will start to drop as well, even though I watered it well. So on hot afternoons, I have to provide  it with some sort of shade.  Old car shades are handy for use as cover  for the plants. 
 
 Well I guess I have to be patient with it.  As long as  the plant  stays healthy and blooms occasionally  it is  indeed a  nice plant to have in my garden, despite its slow growth.  In comparison my jasmines grow so fast!      


No comments: