Monday, June 6, 2011

Quisqualis Indica (Rangoon Creeper) revisited ...

I cannot help but continue to marvel at the beauty of  the Rangoon Creeper (posted 24th June 2010)  Its  ability to constantly bloom so profusely is very rewarding not to say of its tantalizing fragrance in the evenings. The fragrance from the combination of these blooms, the jasmines, gardenias, mirabilis and others  in the garden is  so relaxing and refreshing !  Perhaps this is why I made it a  nightly habit to lost myself in the garden  for a few minutes just before popping off to bed .......!
Which is a better shot .... this one OR
This one ?
Trying to capture from a low point  ....  



This amazing plant seems to thrive without much fuss. After all the blooms are gone, I normally give it a heavy pruning. However, new growth appears quickly. As I mentioned before,  this plant reminds me of  Jack and his magical  beanstalk !  Now and then I noticed baby plants sprouting  from the roots - rather far away from the mother  plant. I normally pull them out.   Recently I  dug  a couple of these babies out as I am interested to see if the rate of growth is as fast when grown in a pot.

4 comments:

Gardener said...

OMG, that is stunning! Soooo envious!

I have been hunting for this exact plant forever, but have been unable to find seeds. I wonder, possibly, do you have any that you'd be willing to sell and post? If yes, what's the best way to make contact with each other?

Thank you! :)

Sun-ni Mi-ni Gardener said...

Hi Gardener,

I am not sure this plant bear seeds. The nurseries do sell this plant. Show them a photo!

WPJ said...

Lowes sells them.

Unknown said...

Beautiful Rangoon Creeper in full bloom !If you could offer some advice on how best to train it up to the wall. I have mine planted 6 months ago bought from a nursery ( about 1.5 ft high)next to a wall. Without any supporting pol, it grew to about 2-3 feet now and flowers 2-3 times already and the branches are all over the places above ground, rather messy. I was hoping that it will march up the wall by itself until a friend told me that I need to stick a pole for it to climb up. I selected a few more sturdy branches and tied them to the pole. So far it is not making much progress. Also I noted there are few new leaves emerging after the last bloom, what sort of fertiliser RC loves?