Monday, September 5, 2011

Tree of A Thousand Stars revisited .....

Previous post (28th October 2010) on this plant, "Tree of A Thousand Stars" ( Serissa Foetida or Snow Rose )

 I enjoy looking at this mini "Tree of a Thousand Stars" ... (what a mouthful, I prefer calling it 'Serissa').  The cuttings  survived easily so  I got into the habit of sticking these cuttings anywhere I can find within the garden area whenever I shaped the plant.  When friends ask for a plant, I just dug them up...!  

My serissa (s) have started to flower - they bloom on and off as they please !  The small perfect white blooms fascinate me so much that I cannot help but take pictures of them.  However since the flowers are so small, it is hard to get good pictures using my simple camera ... sigh !  Some of the flowers are multi-petals but most are single petals. The blooms looks like those satin flowers sewn on to clothings ... very pretty. indeed. Unfortunately they do not have any fragrance --- so minus one point !  (pls click on the pictures to get a better view on the flowers, a second click will enlarge the picture further)





Well perhaps it is time I experiment around on the  art of Bonsai.  

6 comments:

Jacqueline said...

Lovely and luscious flowering plant... don't think I've seen it before. Are the flowers pure white or have a bluish tint or am I colour-blind, hehe?

Sun-ni Mi-ni Gardener said...

Hello Jacqueline ...

Thanks for dropping by. I love reading your gardening blogs ...!

The serissa flowers are pure snow white. I read that there is another variety that is pink ... so I am keeping a look out for them ... haha !

Stephanie said...

I think it will make a pretty bonsai ;-) Nice plant.

Sun-ni Mi-ni Gardener said...

Thank you, Stephanie..I am pleased that you like this plant as well!

Autumn Belle said...

This Serissa is very beautiful. The tiny white flowers look like Murraya but without the fragrance. The leaves are beautifully designed and shaped. I think it will look good as a bonsai, in rock gardens and Japanese or Zen gardens. There is a Serissa japonica at the Secret Garden of 1-U.

Sun-ni Mi-ni Gardener said...

Hi Autumn Belle - yes I did see the plant in Secret Garden, it is so pretty. Once I saw these plants in Bonsai form at Cameron Highlands - splendid ! Yes, definitely will try to keep this plant as a bonsai.