Sunday, September 26, 2010

Thunderstorm......

Gosh, time just speed by....it is almost 3 weeks since I last blogged. I had been busy entertaining visitors from abroad and taking a holiday myself , visiting places, window shopping, etc.  the last two weeks. So my poor garden and plants had been neglected.  Well this morning was a beautiful morning, cool-lish since it had been raining again last night.  The weeds had been having a party the last three weeks as well....they are sprouting everywhere...., plenty of rainfall ! So anywhere I just squat down to pull a weed or two, I ended up with a pile of them! Anyway it is time to get back to tending my mini garden. 

Two days ago there were strong winds and heavy thunderstorms. The wind was so strong,  (like a small scale typhoon) it blew three of my potted water jasmine (wrightia religiosa) off the fence pillars where I placed them. Perhaps it was time to re -pot these plants,  anyway they went crashing down like bowling pins ....the pots were broken to pieces but the jasmine plants were luckily not  too damaged.  Two of them dropped into the drain, while one crashed to the walkway.  So yesterday morning, I went hunting for new pots to house them. Trimming off the leaves, shaping the plant a bit and cutting off the excess  roots  to re-pot them was rather tedious and not an enjoyable task.  The plants are  now  miserable looking,  not lush and green with flowers as before. Hopefully they will soon grow as lovely as ever in no time at all .  I decided I might as well work on the other jasmine plants as well since they are looking a bit over grown in their pots as well....

Aside from re-potting, I had to worked on those plants that the  strong wind seemed  to partially uproot as well. Some of these plants include the graptophyllum, pomegranate, roselle, mirabilis, chilli,,  durante blue,  etc..  they were  all  leaning heavily to one side, bowled over by the strong winds ! Perhaps  these plants have rather shallow roots,  or perhaps the rain water was too much as well........Well what I had to do was trimmed off excess vegetation and  to hammer back the supports I provided for some of these plants so that they are standing upright again. Some of the plants which are too weak, I uproot totally. Most of their leaves and stems are broken beyond repair. I never realized how much havoc strong winds can caused. I guess I have to be more careful about the potted plants  I placed on the pillar fence from now on!  

Below are three  of the water jasmine (sui mei) plants with their new sexy 'leaf- cuts',  one  is  practically bald (botak).....argh hummm ......



So meantime, excuse me if I 'apply' for more leave to tidy up my garden., trim my plants , etc...  I actually wanted to write on the herbs I have in my garden, but (sigh) have a little more patience with me..........




No comments: