Sunday, September 26, 2010

Umbrella Pennywort

This plant is unique looking with its circular leaves., not unlike  little umbrellas.   This plant is a runner......yes, a true runner that runs in any direction it is able to....(lol).  I like this plant a lot actually as I think it is really cute looking. My mistake was to introduce it to the ground......before I know  it I have to keep pulling them up, somehow they keep appearing out of nowhere.  ( I am still doing it) Luckily the roots come up easily.

 This plant likes lots of moisture, and it is easy to care for. Just feed plenty of water.  I like to grow it in a round shallow pot since the roots do not go deep. However, once the pot is over populated, I need to replant them. They grow fast.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I chanced upon your blog when I searched for information about this plant. Not sure if you are the right person to ask, but this is relating to the plant gardening.

We have just bought 2 pots last week, the same as picture in this blog. It's in pot without drainage, under full morning sun, and I have been watering it daily. Since it's water plant, I figured it would be ok even abit flooded. However, I noticed this morning some of the leaves turned dull brown and flaky to the touch. Would you have any idea what's wrong?

Sun-ni Mi-ni Gardener said...

Hi

Thanks for reading my blog. I think this plant might be a bit 'sun ' shy...Was it in the shade when nursery? As a rule of thumb always allow your plant to get adjusted to its new conditions. Better in the shade or partial shade first, and slowly expose to sun. From my experience, you are right about the water. The plant is okay with water, just check for algae and aphids (whitish stuff can be seen).... The other thing you can do is check the roots....the roots should be white and healthy looking. Can always replant, clean the roots. This plant is quite robust actually and grows easily. Use well drained soil better.

cina_fong said...

Hi

The plant is called pegaga or gotu kola in India, a highly beneficial herb, the leaves and stalks can be eaten raw or cooked. However, there is one very similar plant that is round like 20sen coin is a weed and inedible. The edible pegaga is either shaped like a kidney or has indentation like a heart.
Regards Cina

cina_fong said...

Oh btw, it can take direct sun or shade but needs lots of water.

cina_fong said...

Oh btw, it can take direct sun or shade but needs lots of water.

Sun-ni Mi-ni Gardener said...

Hello Cina Fong,

Thanks for dropping by with your comments. Yes, it is true this plant takes to the sun as well as shade....these days I am still "running" after these plants since i introduced some to the ground.....they are hard to get rid off!!! Hope to hear more from you.....!