Monday, November 29, 2010

Tuber Head Plant .........

The weekend has come and go....and it is another new week ! What have  I learn this past week? I have a chronic problem that perhaps someone out there has a solution. It is to do with the Jasmine Sambac. (posted 23rd August 2010) When they bloom, the fragrance and beauty is really something. However, the downside of the jasmine sambac is they  are vulnerable to attack by unseen bugs  and  some tiny green  caterpillars.  I have picked these caterpillars off the plant as they were sometimes embedded within the new shoots.  The bug, I have yet to see, but they always leave behind small black specks of shit (I think). Sometimes the whole bush is under attack including the new shoots, the buds and the blooms......haiz.  It is a frustrating problem that keeps recurring. Each time I would trim all the infected parts of the plants. Sometimes I am lucky -  I am rewarded with nice blooms and fragrance, but soon the whole cycle is repeated.  Kind of frustrating.  This man at the nursery, he tells me I can try with spraying with the water based mosquito aerosol....would it work?  Well I will give it a try.....!  

Swollen bulb - partially covered
   In today's blog  I would like to share photos of  this plant - I do not  know what is its name .  The leaves are elongated and slightly wavy and it  has a  swollen round white tuber (onion like) that somehow reminds me of the chinese leek. 

Nice wavy elongated  leaves
Top view
Actually I have three of these plants taken from my friend's garden. She has a number of these plants.  I quite  like the look of this plant as I think it is cute.  I doubt it will flower, will it ?   The lush light green leaves are so pleasant .  I am not sure if this is the same plant sold as a Feng Sui Plant during Chinese New Year. I have this plant for about 9 months now.  I planted one in the pot and the other two on the ground. My friend had hers planted on the ground as well.  Like most tuberous plants, it does not need lots of water. It is a slow grower as well.  It seems to prefer  indirect sunlight. 

Planted on the ground
I think it looks better in the pot, so  recently I  removed one plant  from the ground to a pot as well.  I think it did not like being removed from the ground  and it is still sulking.....not showing much growth at all.  Well that is the world of plants...can't please them all the time....haha!

Update : I know now that these bulb plants are the St Christopher's Lily or  Crinium Jagus. One of  the plant (planted on ground) bloomed in March 2011 . (see post dated : 25th March 2011).




2 comments:

James David said...

your jasmine is infected by caterpillars - those are actually caterpillar droppings.
They often attack the young shoots and buds.
You can try spraying:
1 table spoon of chilli powder,
1 table spoon of dishwasher liquid soap.
1 table spoon of cooking oil
mix it with water in the sprayer, shake it well and spray on the plant.
It will keep all types of bugs away. Safe and natural remedy.

Sun-ni Mi-ni Gardener said...

Thanks James...but how much water roughly ? The mosquito spray did not work, so I returned to trimming away all the buds and foliage that were attacked and now one plant 'thanked' me with numerous healthy looking buds..., with some opening daily, perfect blooms! I would like to try your method as I really love these jasmines a lot especially their fragrance !!