Saturday, February 26, 2011

An Aromatic Plant ....

A layman can  identify a plant if it has flowers, distinctive leaves, fruits and so forth  to compare  with  a known plant.  However it is difficult to search for a plant's identity when one has limited and no trained knowledge on plants, like me.  In order  to know the names  of plants I see, I surf the internet and sometimes come across interesting articles,  blogs, etc.... not  a  productive or efficient way  of research but this method works.  After all I have no deadlines to pursue! There are times I picked up books on tropical plants and browse through as well, this exposes me to more plants as well but I have yet to come across a book that I want to buy as reference.  I  buy some magazines  now and then, but  blogs on gardening are more interesting to read since these are written from first hand experience. A  magazine is handy though for bedtime reading or while  in waiting for something.  Of course  most times after having read about a plant, I forgot.  When I happen to see the plant, learning is then reinforced.  Some names are difficult to remember, common names are easier.  

Below is one plant I am fascinated with but yet to find its name....! As mentioned before sometimes while weeding I came across a baby plant that looks interesting so I don't pull it out but observe how it grows.  The leaves of this plant produces a nice aromatic smell when damaged. 

Clausena Excavata ? (Update : 3rd Sept 2011)
At first glance this plant looks  like the curry leaf  plant ( see post : 27th Sept 2010) but  on closer examination there are differences.  The leaves of this plant are smooth , including the edges and the tips are not as narrowly pointed. The curry leaves tend to curl  upwards a bit on the sides, but these leaves open flat.  The curry leaves are darker green. as well. The curry leaf plant grows more compact at the tip, this plant is more sparse.   The  aromatic scent differs from the curry leaf  although some similar compound is present.  My other half said he can detect the sarsi compound, for me I think it has a  hint of cinnamon in it......Nice puzzle.  I like the scent so I am keeping the plant, just searching for its ID. Similar to the curry leaf plant this plant does not like excessive watering. I know because this is one of the three plants  that survived.  I found  three plants that sprouted up together,  I dug  two up, planted them in a pot, but excessive watering or perhaps too much attention so they did not make it. This plant I did not touch...and so far it is doing well on the spot it sprouted up.

I have seen a similar plant growing by the padang (field) - it is about  6 to 7 feet tall, and from far it does look like the curry leaf plant except the leaves are much, much broader and bigger.  It is not bushy as the curry leaf plant.  I suspect this plant could be the mother plant as the scent of the damaged leaves is the same.  At Cameron Highlands I noticed the leaves of the curry leaf plant grows big as well, perhaps  due to the cooler temperature. 

Perhaps this plant is a family member of the curry leaf plant, and  I will continue searching, unless someone can help me out.  I am also curious to know if it is safe for consumption...., but if it is I suspect I would have found its name by now !


Update : 3rd September 2011 : Clausena Excavata ?

After numerous months surfing to identify this aromatic plant, finally I  found a plant that looks and sounds like it .... however this plant will have to flower and bear fruit before I can confirm.  Check out this site : http://www.asianplant.net/Rutaceae/Clausena_excavata.htm.  Photos of the Clausena Excavata looks very much like the plant I have, but the most distinctively description is the scent of the crushed leaves are similiar to the curry leaf , aside from the  other aromatic essential compounds as well.  Ahh...so I am pretty excited as the Clausena Excavata is said to produce medically beneficial chemicals. 

4 comments:

Commander said...

Hi Ms Loh. Thanks for leaving your comments on my blog. This plant that you are talking about on this article could be related to the Indian Curry Leaf. We see it growing wild in the forests in Singapore, and have got the National Parks Board's horticulturists to ID it as Murraya paniculata. Perhaps you could start your search from this name. Our interest in the plant is because a local butterfly, the Common Mormon's caterpillars feed on both species of Murraya.

Cheers! :)

Sun-ni Mi-ni Gardener said...

Hello Commander, thank you for stopping by. This plant does resemble the Murraya P (I have this plant in my garden - check out my post on 23/8), but the Murraya leaves have no scent at all. Based on your pointer, I am now reading articles that came up relating to this family of plants and see what comes up. I am sure the National Park people cannot have got it too far off. Did you mention that the leaves are strongly scented once damaged ? (similar to curry leaves). I have yet to see this plant flowers, when it flowers then an ID will be easier. It must flower for otherwise how could this plant sprout up in my garden?

pin said...

many thanks to "Commander", you finally got an inkling what this weird little plant is all about.

Haha, and what a coincident, if this weird smelling plant is a species of the "Murraya" family you are currently collecting, perhaps you will get your "yellow flower" Murraya after all!
Lets keep our fingers crossed that this plant has "yellow flowers"!

By the way, it is interesting that certain species of butterflies eat only certain plants...I had thought that catapillars eat any plants, as long as it has green leaves!!!!!

Sun-ni Mi-ni Gardener said...

Hi Pin,

Yes, caterpillars do choose what they feed on....that is why when we find one on a certain plant, we have to feed it with leaves from same plant until it forms a cocoon. You should start reading the Commander's blog... you will find their posts interesting and educational as well.... ! So much research and follow-ups carried out, just amazing.