Monday, March 5, 2012

The Fire-cracker Fern

I have been wanting to get this firecracker fern (not a real fern actually) for a long time, hunting around in the local nurseries.  So when I realized my friend has this plant, I did not hesitate to ask her for a couple of small plants.  This was last August (2011).  My friend had hers growing in a round , rather flat pot, placed on the dividing wall.  It looks very attractive as the light green foliage, touched  with the delicate, fine, tubular coral-red flowers falling like a shower gracefully downwards. 

I  planted the ones I got from her in a corner of my garden on the ground and hoping that this plant will thrive and multiply.  I  have plans to grow this plant as a small bush outside my gate.  The other names for this Firecracker fern (Russelia equisetiformis) includes firecracker plant, firecracker bush, coral bush and coral fountain. This plant apparently is a favorite of hummingbirds so it is an added bonus as I like to see and hear the birds in the garden. However when I surfed for more information about this plant I was surprised to come across this site :- http://stuartxchange.com/CoralBush.html  that mentioned its medicinal value.  Hmmm, very interesting indeed especially the research on hair growth....!

Since I planted it, this plant has grown slowly, multiplying steadily and only recently it started to bloom. As the stems tend to bend over, I tied them to some sticks to hold until eventually these stems thicken enough to hold their own weight.  







I can't wait for this plant to grow bigger, more lush and 'fountain' like .......!

No comments: