Thursday, August 26, 2010

Citrosa Geranium - The Mosquito Plant

Who doesn't find the pesky mosquito irritating and annoying? I think everyone wants to find the solution to getting rid of these annoying insects.  So when I read that this plant really works, quote : "The Mosquito Plant was created by a Dutch botanist, who genetically incorporated traits of the Chinese citronella grass into a scented African geranium. The resulting cultivars still had the growth and habit of the geranium, and its sweet lemony citronella scent. Citronella is the substance in citronella candles, which have long been used to deter mosquitoes. It doesn't harm them, but they don't like citronella and avoid it. It is most effective as a repellent if you crush a few leaves and rub them on your skin. This releases the citronella and a sweet perfume" unquote, I thought I might give it a try. Some people think this plant is a  another hoax, but there are some who seemed to report that this plant really repels mosquito.




As for me after growing it for about 3 months, I do not see any noticeable difference to the mosquito population but then I doubt one plant can make all the difference.   The plant I bought from the nursery  did not survive,  attacked by some beetle grubs., I think. Luckily I have propagated some small plants (the left hand side is one of them), but they are not mature yet and seem to be struggling to survive under my care.  Too much water, one just fade away, too hot and dry, another just dry up . The nursery guy told me to keep the plant in the shade, and that was what I did, yet the plants do not seemed to be thriving...haiz  ! Well, I am not giving up because if anything I would like to enjoy my garden in the evening without these pesky mosquitoes attacking my legs! I would like to place more these plants, around the orch and balcony even if they are not that effective as I think they are rather ornamental looking. Also I like the scent the plant releases.  But first I must master the technique of caring for them.

No comments: