Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Polianthes Tuberosa

The flowers are just so  pretty  .... and the fragrance is  very strong for just a couple of blooms!  Well, the Polianthes Tuberosa is one plant that is well known  in the Chinese community partly because of the popular mandarin song, "Ye Lai Xiang". I was reluctant to buy the plant at first, but the nursery lady assured me that this plant will be easy to care for.  So far I have no regrets as the plant is doing well.

I was very careful with  this plant  as it looks so fragile, not hardy.  As usual where a new plant is concerned,   initially  I try to gather as much information as I can about the care of this plant . When I bought the plant, the plant was not blooming but there was  this tall  thin stalk of buds. So after  re-potting and watching over it carefully, I was pleased to see it bloomed some days later. As expected  (forewarned from internet source) after the blooming  the mother plant died, but  soon there are many baby plants that sprouted up.  I thought better not to disturb the new plants and allow them to continue where they are.   So far the new plants seems to be doing alright and I  am waiting  to see if they will bloom.  I am worried they will be reluctant to bloom just like the Hippeastrum (post dated : 29th August).  However if they do, this time I should separate the baby plants as what was recommended.

 This plant prefers shade rather than direct sunlight. It must not be over-watered, and needs good drainage.  Okay what else....? Place it somewhere near door entrance or window to allow the fragrance to come though into the house.  The downside is the flowers only bloom in the evening  but the scent is very sweet and strong.  In the morning, the fragrance gradually lightens up.

No comments: