Saturday, October 30, 2010

Loropetalum Chinense

The Loropetalum Chinense or commonly called Chinese Fringe Flower is a  truly beautiful shrub with its unusual colored leaves ranging from bronze-red when new to olive-green or burgundy when mature. The flowers are bright hot pink.  I noticed that this plant is very popular these days and is commonly seen  almost everywhere.  This plant is actually one of the first few plants that I planted when we first moved here. It was growing very well, but something went wrong and it died. I am only thinking of a couple of  possibilities -  too much fertilizer  or poor soil drainage.  It is hard to lose a plant especially one that seemed to be growing so well. This plant is supposed to be a rather hardy plant, so it is a real puzzle why all of a sudden the leaves start to dry up.  I had planted it in a sunny spot.

It was lucky that I had a cutting that was successful (see picture below). This time I will be having it in a pot and not be too enthusiastic about fertilizing it.




8th September 2011 : Update on my 'baby' Chinese Fringe Flower plant


After almost a year - the plant is not much bigger, isn't it ? Sigh ..... well as they say, things of beauty take time to develop and this is so true for my Fringe Flower !

4 comments:

pin said...

Oh my gosh....
I thought that plant looks so healthy, it was the pioneer in your graden.

Sun-ni Mi-ni Gardener said...

Yes, it is a heartache to lose this plant. I have to console myself that I was able to propagate one successful. Also consider this as a lesson. Perhaps I did not dig deep enough. Also my garden tends to be waterlogged when there is too much rain. Probably the roots must have rotted. This time I am leaving the young plant in a pot......taking no chances!

James David said...

i had tried propagating this one so many times by cuttings but never seemeded to be successful.
Any secret in getting it right?

Sun-ni Mi-ni Gardener said...

Hello James..
I feel lucky when this one is successful, esp when the first plant started drying up and died. It is still doing well in a pot, thank goodness ! Oh yes, I used some root hormone but the cutting took a long time to send out roots! I really like this plant when it blooms --- very very pretty. BTW the plant has seeds too ... small brown seeds. Have you tried with the seeds?