Monday, January 3, 2011

Pomegranate

At a nursery almost two years back, I noticed these beautiful  bright-orange flowers  on this oriental looking plant.  The leaves were small oval shaped, not dense, the stems were  thin  but hardy. The plant seemed to give an aura of grace and dignity.   I did not recognize the plant immediately as I was so fascinated by the showy orange flowers on this plant hardly two feet tall.  The nursery assistant confused me  a bit by saying this plant  is only grown for the flowers, and  not for fruits.  I thought it cannot be the pomegranate,  perhaps a  flowering version of it.  At that time  my  exposure to plants  was  rather limited and I  mistakenly believed  pomegranate shrubs did  not thrive well in our climate and the fruits  were small, and hardly edible.  At least the shrub that my mother used to have hardly bore fruits, and  when there were  fruits, they were  normally  small , hard and dried up pretty fast. I thought  this plant  was grown for ornamental  reasons rather than for fruits.  Lately however during my walks around the neighborhood,  I noticed that some people grow shrubs with nice looking big pomegranate fruits so it must be the species rather than the environment.

Anyway, I decided to buy one plant from that nursery as I rather liked the flowers, and I thought the plant  was nice looking.  Initially  I placed this plant  in a  container.  It  soon flowered and  I liked the flowers very much indeed.  As  the man said, the flowers did not convert to  fruits.  It soon outgrew the  container,  the leaves tend to dry up and it did not look healthy.   I decided to transfer  the plant to the ground. Pretty soon it flowered again and  subsequently bore me three fruits. I liked  the buds and flowers as the  colors  really stand out against the foliage.  I guess orange must be my favorite color for flowers.....  here are some photos of my first pomegranate shrub taken sometime this year (oh no, I mean last year 2010).
When the flowers bloom

The Buds

The petals about to unfold...

Buds only



The small fruit..sweet! 
The 2nd Pomegranate Shrub
About a year back I bought a second plant. The man at the nursery assured me that this plant will bear big juicy fruits.  These couple of weeks I noticed buds on this second plant.  Take a look at the photos I took over a  few days.  I am feeling very  delighted  and in much  anticipation of nice fruits to taste.....lol! With fruits or no fruits, these pomegranate shrubs are nice looking and pleasing to the eye.   I like them very much.  In fact I propagated a couple more plants  from  the cuttings when I trimmed the plant.  The cuttings take root easily actually but are slow growers until established.  
Buds --- like bells !

More buds to delight....
The flower...
Petals are tucked in, nature is so neat ....
Like me the ant is curious ....

Petals unfolding...
 Again, will 2011 bring some pomegranate fruits? Actually I do not expect fruit trees to bear fruits under 3 years, but no harm hoping ......!

No comments: