Monday, January 3, 2011

The Rain Lily

For some strange reason, my children seemed to like the Rain Lilies very much.  This bulb plant  is commonly planted in most gardens and seems to grow well  without much care or maintenance.  How did I get mine ? When we moved here, I noticed this tiny patch of Rain Lilies growing in a corner.  Somehow they managed to survive despite the havoc created by the contractors when they redo the tilings on the porch,  piping works, etc....      

When I was young, I remember being fascinated by the fine leaf blades. There is  this vegetable, chives (or koo chai) that we liked very much - the leaves are similiar.  So we used to call this plant the 'Koo Chai Hua".   

The rain lily flowers are rather dainty and delicate looking.  Despite its looks, this plant is rather robust. Once established, it seems to grow and multiply without much fuss. 

2 comments:

Alfredo Tan said...

Hi!

What are the growing requirements of the Rain Lily? It looks dainty and angel-like ^_^ I'm sourcing for flowering plants that can thrive indoors and not fussy with sunlight:)

Sun-ni Mi-ni Gardener said...

Hi again, Rain lily grows well as long as no water logged. I am not sure it can grow indoors... :-)