Thursday, January 6, 2011

Leucophyllum Revisited....




The beauty of the leucophyllum (posted 29th August 2010) when it blooms never fails to amaze me.  I think it  must be the most unique plant  in my collection with its unusual coloring .  The contrast of the pink flowers and silver leaves are just so stunning !  Looking at it just make my day.....  Oh dear, instead of me going on and on about its beauty -   do judge for yourself  and  enjoy these shots  below from buds to blooms that I took recently .....
 
The buds ....
Just trying to compose a shot
camera shy?
It blooms  !
Mass of  Pink Beauties ....

Just Stunning  !
Due to the continuous rain the past months, I decided to bring it under cover on the porch where it still gets its daily dose of morning sunshine.  Internet source recommended direct sunshine for best blooms, so initially  I placed it in the garden for full sunshine where it  was thriving until the rains started.......

Looking its best last year  !
 Too much  rainwater was just too much for this plant....the leaves were dropping and it looked sick.   Now at its new location  for  the last two months or so,  it seems healthier  and happy again  -  blooming  to my delight   !!!  Frankly I was getting a bit worried when I noticed the leaves dropping and stems drying out.  There are still some black mold on the  base of the stems and I am mulling how to get rid of them. I am monitoring them, if they  get really naughty and destructive, I will have to spray some chemicals.  I am also seeing if I can propagate this plant from cuttings....not so successful, but I am keeping my fingers crossed that a couple of  cuttings will grow now that  they have taken root.

No comments: