Friday, August 27, 2010

Bougainvillea

The 'Bunga Kertas" ( translation : Paper Flower) is grown everywhere in Malaysia as it is such an easy plant to grow, being fuss free as well. Initially I did not to have anything to do with the bougainvillea as I dislike those nasty thorns, but who can resists this so attractive and colorful plant? Not me.  The texture of the flowers is actually  like paper, thin, dry and crispy. 

My mother used to have a wide collection of these plants, ranging from all sorts of colors including those variegated ones. (batik leaves).  Unfortunately some of them did not bloom too well as her  house was partially shaded. The bougainvillea  actually  thrives under direct sunlight. With enough sunlight they will  bloom frequently as well.  We used to think my mother did not put enough blooming fertilizer since they hardly ever bloomed, except some odd  one here and there, nothing spectacular despite some pruning. Well after using  much fertilizer and little rewards, we have to blame the lack of sunlight for her plants!

The three types of bougainvillea that I have right now are actually grown from cuttings obtained from my mother's plants.  Just take a cuttings of 4 - 6 inches, and stick them into some well drain soil, and new leaves will soon be sprouting out with ease.  With some root hormone the process may be hastened, but  the results are just as good without them. Place the cuttings under shade initially, keep them moist  until the roots develop. When they are look healthy enough, transfer them to the areas where they are exposed to  more sunlight. My cuttings bloomed under a six month period and after  a year plus this is how  one of them  looked like (see below) !  Yes, a towering giant !  (No - lah,  just the illusion created by the photographer, aka daughter).  I planted this plant on the ground and did not expect it to grow so big, so fast actually....of course I have since trim it, but it kept sprouting new growth. Well,  I plan to groom it into a shady umbrella, and perhaps incorporate other colors through  grafting gradually.



One thing I learn about this plant is  not  to over water it.  Just got to let  the soil in pot dry out a bit before watering. It seems to flourish better without too much water.  Too much water it will sulk, like what happens recently when there was so much rainwater.  Once the weather is drier, the blooms are all appearing again. 




The above picture is one good example of the bougainvillea that refused to flower much at my mother's place, so I was pleasantly surprised to see it bloom so regularly as well as note  the amazing compactness of the blooms at my place. This plant gets a heavy dosage of sunshine in the mornings, being planted just outside of the house compound.

No comments: