Friday, August 27, 2010

Mexican Sunflower (Tithonia rotundifolia 'Torch')

I  plucked the dried flower from a plant by the walkway outside of somebody's house compound. The vibrant orange-red flower was so attractive, I thought it would add some color to my garden which at that time consisted mostly of white jasmine and gardenia! From the dried flower I was able to get some seeds.  To my tremendous delight, the seeds sprout easily  once I  covered them with some soil in the garden. The plants grew very well in my garden and in a matter of a couple of months I could see the flower buds forming. For a month or so I enjoyed the flowers, then disaster struck! Apparently aphids and the white mealy bugs also like the plant very much. Initially I used some chemicals to spray but  these pests seemed to multiply so fast once the plant grew old and weaker. I  was reluctant to  use chemicals, so with a heavy heart I pulled out the plants even though there were still blooms and buds on the plant. I did not want these pests to attack my chili plant.

I sowed some seeds outside my garden compound and  surprisingly the plants grew very well in less fertile conditions. The plants will  flower very well or a month or so, then the attack from the pests  will come. However, to my surprise, I was  delighted to see beautiful butterflies coming as well.





Yes this  plant with its bountiful flowers is a charmer.  I noticed people in the neighborhood, during their evening walks stopped to admire the flowers.

No comments: