Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Herbs - Indian Borage (Plectranthus amboinicus)

Check out this herb. The strong distinctive smell can be either appealing or too strong for some. What is the significance of this plant? Many years ago, I was inflicted with this persistent cough that just refused to go away. Yes, I had been to see the doctors, taken antibiotics, cough medication by the bottles.....but no cure in sight. In the middle of the night when rest was most needed, I would wake up coughing non-stop.  Coupled with stress at work, and no solution to badly needed rest, I was so desperate to try anything, My mother made me a herbal drink from the leaves of this plant on one weekend I visited her.  Three portions of the  miraculous  herb within a day (morning, afternoon and evening) and I was on the road to recovery. That night I slept peacefully for the first time in a month! I continued to drink the herb until the cough cleared completely for the next couple of days! So what do you expect....it  is only concoction from this herb henever I feel the cough  or hear any cough  from anyone in the family!   Even though it works for me, I have feedback from some people that it does not work for them.

One need only pick a few of these leaves, wash them and put them in some boiling water. Once the water boils again, immediately off the heat and leave to cool before drinking. Do not over boil, the active ingredient is lost, I think.  Once the maid was coughing rather badly, and she said the herb did not work for her, so I checked  how she prepared it. She said she boiled it for at least half an hour.....no wonder it did not work!  Some people  say  chewing on the raw leaves is good enough, but I have never tried it.......! Normally one can add some rock sugar or dried logan to make the drink slightly sweet if that is preferred, easier to drink.  Always  drink the herb while it is slightly warm.

This herb is easy to propagate. Just stick some cuttings into some well drained soil and in no time, roots and leaves will sprout. This plant need no fertilizer and is also pest free. I have this plant sprawling all over my garden, on the ground and in pots.....that is how much faith I have in this herb!  Anyway I think it is rather ornamental looking as well.  Whenever I water  my plants, I can smell the herb's distinctive  scent the same as for basil, mints etc and it is rather refreshing. 


Interested to read more, go to this link  below :-     
http://hubpages.com/hub/Indian-Borage

No comments: