Sunday, November 21, 2010

Some Random Thoughts / Shots to Share........

This is the caladium I picked up together with the Sanseviera Trifasciata (posted 29th Oct).  I would like to collect more caladiums, I think they are so pretty and add color to the garden. Caladiums are not fussy plants, easy to care for. They just need humidity to grow well.




This is my Blood Lily Plant (Scadoxus multiflorus) , but it has not bloomed so far......sorry no photos on blooms to show ! I like this plant very much as the flower is very unique - a spherical ball of pink/reddish blooms! Can see a picture of the bloom at this link :- http://www.vanmeuwen.com/flowers/flower-bulbs/other-flower-bulbs/scadoxus-multiflorus/61574VM.  Unfortunately this plant is pretty much like the Hippeastrum (29th August) , they  bloomed at their own leisure.....! My mother had this plant for years and  the flowers were seldom  sighted, but the bloom (yes always just a single  ball) would last about a week or two, a sight to behold indeed. Like the Hippeastrum, it is a bulb plant.  At times there will be no leaf, one would think the plant died. Then out of the ground, sprout this  round ball of flowers  - sticking out of the ground like a sore thumb, very very strange....! I would like to study this plant and understand its strange pattern of growth further.... 

These few days my garden smells wonderful....the source? 



The Dwarf Ylang Ylang (posted June 25th) blooms perpetually.......and a real delight in the garden. Did I mention that I  have  two plants.....? I like the first one so much, I decided to buy a second plant a month later..... These two plants bloom all the time, and the scent the blooms  (even a single  bloom) give off  can be very strong even at a distance. 

4 comments:

Alfredo Tan said...

Hi,

Your Ylang Ylang is simply awesome! May I know what are the growing requirements of dwarf Ylang Ylang? Similar to jasmine plant? Thank you.


Regards
Alfredo Tan

Sun-ni Mi-ni Gardener said...

Yes, I love my dwarf ylang ylang plants, but I have complaints from family members that the perfume is too strong. And yes, the growing requirements should be the same - with good drainage and I am using organic fertilizer. Direct sunshine for this plant!

James David said...

I wonder whether different types of ylang-ylang plant species have different scent?
are both of your ylangs have same smell?

Sun-ni Mi-ni Gardener said...

Good question, James - I have been wondering about this scent too ! I noticed your Ylang Ylang flowers looks slightly different from mine - less petals ( ? ). Since my ylang ylang were from the same nursery (same batch), so the scent is the same...but I noticed the scent varies at times. Some evenings they are very strong especially just after a light rain shower - at others a mild, light teasing pleasant scent, not so spicy and intense...!