Friday, January 21, 2011

Amazon Lily ( Eucharis Lily)

 I used to have a pot of  this Amazon Lily  (Eucharis Lily) when we lived in Penang.   This plant and me  have  a long history of bonding ... more than 10 years.  I like it very much for two reasons,  firstly the foliage is very attractive, dark green and glossy.  Secondly the white flowers are lightly fragrant. When we moved to East Malaysia, I had to give this plant away.  So in a way, I feel this plant has come home to me.....! 

When I saw this pot of plant abandoned by previous owner,  most of the leaves  have wilted away,  those left behind are in bad shape but  sufficient  for me to identify  the plant.  As I say this plant and me have gone a long, long way.......  Luckily the bulbs I dug up seemed healthy enough,  with a bit of   fragile looking roots intact.  Bulb plants  normally grow back easily   under  some care. 
 
These are shots of  the  Amazon Lily.  It has been 3 days  since I replanted in fresh soil.  I have put 4 bulbs in a single pot and the other two smaller bulbs  in single small pots. I will probably need to re-pot when they resumed normal healthy  growth.  Bulb plants will grow fast once established, although they take longer to bloom. 

 My previous experience with this plant is the leaves do not like direct sunlight.  The leaves get burnt and rather unsightly upon too much exposure to direct sunlight.

The following article is a very comprehensive write - up on this beautiful plant - check it out ! (http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/2877/)

No comments: