Thursday, October 11, 2012

Melastoma malabathricum

Senduduk - that is the common name for the Melastoma malabathricum (what a mouthful !).  It is a rhododendron plant commonly seen all over the place. So when I noticed this plant sprouting up in one of my flower pots, I decided not to pull it up, but allowed it grow naturally. It is one of  few flowering plants that  was commonly seen growing wild in the rubber plantations where we liked to roam during our childhood days. Feeling abit reminiscent I was eagerly looking forward to seeing this plant bloom. Boy, little did I know - I was in for a lovely surprise ! 



Yes, this is the white variety (alba)  aside from the more common purple (or mauve) version. The alba Melastoma malabathricum  is rare and seldom seen ! What are the chances of  it sprouting up in my garden ?  Certainly  I must thank the flying carriers of the seed to my garden  ! So many of them around now, and I really love they way they announced themselves with their bright cheerful tweets and twitters .......!

 Apparently the Senduduk is a medicinal plant ( fascinating as always) and  more interesting is that it absorbs contaminants from soil (http://www.greenculturesg.com/articles/july08/july08_melastomam.pdf) ! Yes, as I read more on this plant, the more it grows on me beyond just  the feeling of childhood memories !  Now I am still hoping that the more common mauve senduduk will one day sprout up as well ....a bit too wishful, huh ?

Ready for another wonderful surprise? Yesterday morning I spotted this white wish bone flower (torenia) in my garden --- take a look !

White Beauty !

can see the white ? just a single bloom !

The normal color

Fine beauties - graceful and small !
These blue torenias grow 'wild' all over my garden - they bloom well and are real delicate beauties, so I seldom pull them up ! Occasionally I see the pink ones come up but they are rare - so these whites are really, really rare ! Mutations of the genes?  Perhaps.

It has been raining on and off ...... so not surprising  the Rain Lilies (Koo Chai Hua) are thriving as well. Check them out.

 They certainly bloom beautifully whenever it rains .....!


No comments: