Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Spathiphyllum ( or peace lily)



One morning this 'surprise' greeted me right at my side door to the garden.....! A white leaf about to unfurled?  No...it is  a bloom, believe it or not.... ! I  had liked the  deep green large leaves of this plant very much;  and I thought the leaves resembled the Peace Lily.  I have never seen this plant bloom before so was not sure what is its identity.  It was  one of those plants I took from my mother's garden. So  it is almost 4 years since I have the plant.  Ahha ... so  now it has bloomed, I can safely conclude that is is the Peace Lily indeed. I checked the other clump that I had .....yes, also another bloom.....how exciting !

I surfed for more information on this plant in the internet, yes it looks like the Peace Lily is not a 'clever' bloomer after all from the numerous postings on this plant.  Like me, the people who have this plant just  like the leaves even without the blooms. Well, I certainly hope after this, these plants will bloom more frequently - the bloom is fascinating indeed ! I have seen this same plant blooming profusely in highland area like Penang Hill where it is slightly cooler. Or perhaps the landscape people put fertilizers to make them bloom well.


 Oh yes, the pure white bloom is a real beauty,  and the name is apt indeed .... a plant that loves and promote peace,  turning downwards in contemplation perhaps, or is it just being humble and shy?





Yeah, but who am I kidding? Plants live in peace and harmony with their environment, don't they ? 
 
So perhaps another  four years before another  bloom will  appear ?  Hope not, I suspect the last month had been abnormally coolish ( with constant  rain almost daily) ,  and that this plant decided to bloom and show off.   Well ... it has makes me feel happy and rewarded indeed !

No comments: