Thursday, October 11, 2012

Red Ginger Plant

My brother picked a bloom from this plant for me from his golf course. He told me this plant can be propagated by planting it. Strange, I thought, but no harm trying. Anyway I did just that. After some time I noticed, true enough the plant was growing.  Finally after three years (or  more perhaps), it has started to bloom. It looks like the red ginger plant to me, but it remains short - not more than 2 feet tall.  The first couple of times I caught sight of promising bud, but somehow  the buds never bloomed - just stay furled up and eventually die a natural death - rotting away. This must be the third time the bud opened up and fascinating - the bloom lasted more than 1 month plus, staying fresh and  a vibrant red. Another small  white bloom appeared at the center of the  red bloom which is the true flower according to the posts I read on this red ginger plant. Interesting. 

The buds n white flowers at the right hand side are  from the chilli plant.
A second bud
Bloom is vibrant red that is rather striking
Not so clear, the white bloom at the center of the red


After almost 2 months the bloom is starting to dry up.  Well the second bloom will soon  take over.



2 comments:

Giga said...

Dobrze, że go posadziłaś, bo jest piękny. Ma bardzo ładny kwiat. Pozdrawiam.
It's good that you have it because it is beautiful. It has a very pretty flower. Yours.

Sun-ni Mi-ni Gardener said...

thanks Giga...