Thursday, October 11, 2012

Cactus Blooms

When one thinks of a small rounded plant that is covered with prickly thorns,  immediately the cactus comes to mind. Why do people like cactus or bother to cultivate them ?  Personally I am drawn to  the cactus for their beautiful and colorful blooms . When I was a teenager someone gave me a book on desert cactus - since then I was hooked and dream of nothing but cactus and their gorgeous blooms !  However after many bad experiences of trying to cultivate and get a cactus to survive or worse to bloom results in only heart pain.  But my other half  think otherwise. On our last trip to Cameron Highlands he bought three small cactus. And wonder of wonders two of them actually bloomed after almost a year !







 Unfortunately these yellow blooms lasted only  a day or two.









This  orange bloom lasted for almost a week.

Yes, both were beautiful blooms - what is the secret ? My theory ?  Cactus need to be neglected then to draw your attention they will bloom! My other half is not a gardener and his three cactus were soon neglected except when occasionally he remembers to spray some water on them and that is all the care he gives them. Then comes my role - I sometimes spray the foliar fertilizer left over from spraying my other plants.  Perhaps the third one will bloom, just keep fingers crossed.

No comments: