Thursday, November 4, 2010

Asparagus densiflorus 'sprengeri' (Sprengeri Fern)

This plant is not a fern and it has no leaves.  Fascinating !   Those bright green soft needle-like foliage are actually stems  and is referred to as cladodes ..  interesting.  Although  the articles I read mentioned that this plant does flowers, I don't recall ever seeing any flowers. This means I really must observe this plant more often to catch the flowers.  I actually have this plant for almost 4 years now.  From a small  pot that my mother gave me,  I have increased its population  as I like this plant very much.  

This plant  is  always green and  real easy to care for.  Recently  I transferred one  "mould " of these plants  (the plants tend to grow as a mould in the container - very compact, see the pictures )  to the ground. I am attempting to see if  it makes suitable ground cover.

There was this one time when  one container of this plant  turned brown on me . I am not sure what happened, I surmised it was either due to lack of water or the plant has grown 'old',  I had placed it  on top of the shoe cupboard ,  away from the other plants, and sometimes I forget to water it.  Now I always keep the soil moist and leave it where there is  some sunlight.  Under too much sunlight, the green turns really light and not so nice looking.  I let the soil dry out  once a while  to ensure the roots are kept healthy   I noticed that  this plant does not like too much watering. 

Ah yes, when I noticed the plant turning  brown and unhealthy looking,  I pulled out the whole mould of plants out of the pot, and cut off those brown and dried looking stems. Then I replanted  the healthy green ones back to a clean container with fresh soil.  The plant grew well and  eventually  the pot  became 'overcrowded' again.  When this happened,  I pulled it out and then divided it into into clumps to be planted in two different pots.  So  this was how I  multiplied  them . Luckily this plant doesn't grow all that fast !

 Actually these plants look good in hanging pots and it is better to plant them in shallow pots. Their roots do not go deep.

3 comments:

James David said...

What a lovely bushy plant this is.
Its truly lovely.
I have been eyeing for this plant so many times but never seen it grown anywhere around my taman area.
Yours is so lavishly beautiful.

Sun-ni Mi-ni Gardener said...

Thanks James, yes, I really love this plant too....it is so soothing to the eye. I am sure you will have this plant as part of your collection soon ....!

Redsly said...

Hi, I saw this on a book recently, and wanted to try it as my first bonsai. May I know where can I get the seed for this plant in Malaysia? (as it mentioned in the book but written in chinese, which I don't think local people is familiar with that name.)