Monday, November 1, 2010

Agava Americana (Century Plant)


This plant is neither a cactus nor an aloe........ not in any way related  either according to experts.  The Agava plant  is commonly called the Century Plant because legend says it takes 100 years to bloom and die.  Well, that is just a myth as this plant is  now known to bloom anytime from 5 to 25 years, depending on growth and environment factors.  Since my two Agavas ( I have planted two - Chinese saying  -  a pair is good :- ) )  are less than a  year,  what are the chances I will get to put  photos of their blooms on this  blog.....?   So, readers if you are interested to see a picture, you have to surf the net....sorry !

My daughter and I were cycling around the neighborhood one morning when we caught sight of these agava pups. I picked up two of them and brought them home.  They were hardly the size  of  tennis balls when I planted them.  Over the months they have grown to this size......!   I was actually fascinated by this thin tall  stalk like a pole (15 feet or taller) which seems to be shooting up to the sky with the yellow flowers at its tip.   This thin stalk grows from the center of the plant.  The plant grows as a rosette, the leaves are thick and hard with margins edged with sharp spikes.....not a friendly plant at all!  Apparently once the plant blooms, the flowers are good for up to a month.  When the blooms fade, the plant dies as well, but not before it produces all those pups (baby off sets). Interesting, isn't it?
These  plants hardly need any care except for watering when the weather gets too hot. In fact sometimes I forget that they are there growing quietly under the  other plants, almost hidden from view.  They are magnificent to withhold, being so big and dignified. Well I am not sure if they will outgrow the space where they are now. Perhaps I might have to remove one of them.  Luckily I did not plant them within the garden area., and not too close to each other.  Well, it is certainly going to be a long patient wait to check out its flowers.......!   

No comments: