Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Ruellia brittoniana, Dwarf Ruella, Mexican Petunia

This is another plant with purple (or violet -blue?) flowers that I find  attractive and pleasing to the eye.  Apparently Purple is a polarizing color people either love or hate.  (see http://www.sibagraphics.com/colour.php) .  If one is a believer in  Feng Sui, purple has a great significance. The color is  said to be excellent for physical and mental healing. It is  associated  with spiritual awareness. Somehow purple has a calming and soothing effect. As a color symbolic of royalty, purple flowers also suggest richness and elegance. When sending purple flowers to someone, it seems you are also sending a message of  pride, dignity and admiration.....!  

Back to the Mexican Petunia,  I noticed that this plant has a mass of tough, fibrous roots.  With such roots I figured it would make as a good ground cover or border in the garden as it never grows higher than 4 or 5 inches tall.  It stays close to the ground.  However,  this plant is not easy to 'tame' - it sprouts all over the place from the seeds it sowed ! Invasive plant......so these days I got the hang of handling them.  I pulled them up if they are growing in the wrong place and replant in the spot where I prefer them to grow - lol !   Now at least I am getting some semblance of order. 
 

My neighbor  liked this plant so much she asked me for some baby plants one day.  She  then planted them in a container and  takes delight in seeing them daily.  It looks good in a round container, as she grows them very compact. Up at the Gunung Jerai Regency Resort, they used this plant as part of the landscaping - so  professionally  done it made me feel as if  I have not used  this  beauty to a better effect in my garden ... :-)  !

This plant as mentioned earlier has such strong roots, it can grow anywhere.  It is  an easy maintenance plant . They grow fast and compact, but once flowering period over, the more mature plants will dry up gradually, but sometimes not noticeable because the younger plants camouflage the dying plant well.  Except for snails, there is no mealy bugs or other pests to disturb this tough plant.   These  plants blooms very well, and a sight to behold - a carpet of purple ! 

I have seen the pink color version in the nurseries and temple grounds, but believe me the washy pink does not enhance the plant like this vibrant purple does.  I have yet to see the white species.  So if you have a choice, go for this color ... but this plant must be controlled if it is introduced to the garden.

1 comment:

James David said...

They look very beautiful when they flower.
I guess they need good sunlight for them to bloom. They don't do so well in shaded area.