Monday, November 1, 2010

Baby Rubber Plant ( Peperomia obtusifolia)

No, no..... this baby  has nothing to do with the Rubber Trees [ (Hevea brasiliensis) from which natural rubber is obtained)] or even the rubber plant  (Ficus elastica ),  another ornamental plantThis plant is a beautiful evergreen, the leaves like petals of dark jade, green and intense, just  the nicest color possible. I have seen some people growing this plant into a small shrub in the shade of a bigger plant.

Admittedly I am guilty of  neglecting to give it the care it rightly deserves. At the back of my mind it has not  demanded or fussed  for  attention. This plant  just remains as it is,  not flourishing,  just quietly waiting patiently for attention.  All I need to do is change its soil medium, I don't know why I keep forgetting !   Right now I just placed it under  the shade where it is  moist and humid.  I have this plant  for almost 4 years now.   My mother gave this plant  to me, when we moved back from East Malaysia.  This was one of her favorites houseplants and she said  this plant  did  not need much care, just to place it in a corner somewhere, out of the sun !

It is time I do some re-potting to allow it to grow back to its former glory of being bushy and alive looking. Now it looks a bit dull.  Even though it looks green, it is definitely not healthy, just surviving !  All I need to do is  to change its soil medium,  which had turned  quite compact over the years.   This plant prefers porous soil for the roots to penetrate easily. It has very soft and delicate root system.  A shallow pot is better, as the roots does not penetrate deep. This plant even though has a herbaceous stem,  is quite a robust plant for all the neglect this past year.  For healthy growth, a porous soil medium is better. The plant is not overly fond of  excess water, the roots will rot eventually if  too much watering.  This plant grows easily from cuttings. Aside from snails, I have not seen this plant attacked by other pests.  This plant apparently makes a good houseplant as well as it also possesses the air purifying properties.

 
Mission accomplished ---- Baby Rubber Plant now has a  new pot and medium !   Perhaps this is why I like blogging --- my plants get the attention after they had been blogged !!! Other wise I tend to forget about them especially those plants that sit in the shade.....!

No comments: