Sunday, August 29, 2010

Leucophyllum

Stunning, unusual shrub .... the common names  for it are  Texas Ranger , Silver Leaf  and  Barometer Bush - what  funny names for a plant !  Well, silver leaf is  okay, after all the leaves are kind of silvery color (grey-white).  Why barometer bush ? Apparently the plant blooms days before it rains, it starts to bud when the humidity is high, I guess. From buds to blooms I think it takes 2 to 3 days from what I observe. Texas Ranger  -  I have not come across any explaination for it yet.  


I first noticed this shrub  because of its unusual foliage.   It was bushy , about 4 feet tall .  One day  I  noticed it bloomed and  it  was really striking. Abundant pink flowers against the silvery backdrop, one can see the plant from quite a distance away.  

This is the plant  when I brought it home and  after having given  it some light some prunning. The nursery where I bought it from had  just let it stand under the sun and rain. There was a bit of black moldy growth and the branches were dangling here and there. into odd shape. My husband did not like it at all, but after I have prunned it, he said 'wow - was that the plant we took back?" Since it was recommended to leave it under direct sunlight, and to avoid too much watering, I had to locate a proper spot for the plant.








This is the plant after 3 months  with us.  Well, it did not bloom just before it rains, but it blooms periodically. It did not shower us with excessive blooms either, but enough to make one admire it whenever it does.  The plant has adapted rather well,  keep my fingers crossed. Anyway it is supposed to be a robust plant. The plant is supposed to grow on sandy soils, a semi - dessert shrub, so it does not need much fertilizing as well. 

No comments: