Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Carissa ( Natal Plum)

I was attracted to this plant given the unusual compactness of the ovate glossy green leaves. To my disgust it  has sharp thorns!  The plus side of this plant is the fragrant white flowers it bears. The name 'Natal Plum' is given because of the red fruit it bears. I like what I read about this plant and decided to add it to my collection of plants. I bought two plants, one with  leaves that are deep green in colour, the other with a lighter green. I am not sure whether the leaves of the  second plant will eventually turn a darker shade.  I am hoping the flowers will be different and they are different  hybrids. I got the plants from different suppliers.  I  plant ed both plants in containers as I feel they will be easier to handle. 

This plant is supposed to be pest free and grows well under direct sunlight.  It can tolerate drought conditions. Generally plants with thorns are easy to care for, just that when handling them have to be extra careful about these thorns. I noticed the carissa when damaged exude a milky sap. This sap is supposed to be toxic. In fact according to what I read, all parts of the plant is toxic, except the ripe fruit. The fruit apparently is edible and very popular for making jellies, jams, etc. 

Well having bought these two plants recently, I am waiting patiently to see the white star shaped flowers  and taste the fruit.  However,  I do not expect  these  plants to be a fast grower at the rate they are growing! 


7th October 2010 : Update on progress.......

Below are pictures of the carissa flower  that bloomed recently. So far there is only single blooms on the plant, so I guess it is still a long wait to see the fruit. !




The blooms are so white in contrast to the dark glossy green leaves. The fragrance from the flower is teasing as it is very mild....but lovely anyway!  The other pot has yet to bloom.

No comments: