Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Roses , Roses, Roses.....

There is something very appealing about the rose. It is hard to resist the rose. I learn that some roses have nice scent, but there are some that do not. Someone told me the local roses (ros kampong) usually have scents and are easier to care for. There are those  hybrids from Cameron Highlands,  all look very enchanting and irresistible sitting at the nursery.  I bought many plants, but sadly most did not survive. It is not easy to cultivate healthy roses.  I use fertiliser, I use chemicals, I give shade,  I give sunshine,  I give partial shade, I spray water to keep them moist.....but still the leaves wilt and look unhealthy............ Finally I placed  those few that I still have at  a corner, neglect them, don't even look at them , except water and fertilize .......and  lo and behold ......... you see perfect healthy leaves and even occasional buds that will bloom beautifully!  What irony !
Now I keep only the four or five rose plants that are surviving. I have resolved never, never, never to buy rose plants unless they are the local types.  When in Cameron Highlands, admire them, take pictures....but don't bring back trouble and suffer heartache!  Also ignore those rose plants sold at the local nurseries.

This pink and white rose is my husband's favorite.  So far it blooms rather well, but I planted it with  the yellow/orange lantana . I read somewhere that one way to care for plants is grow it with another plant that will take care of it.  Since both plants are doing good together I left them alone.   Except, of course,  the lantana is growing  faster than the rose, so I keep pruning it until even my daughter remarked that the lantana looked like a bonsai plant.  Well one day I must separate them...... : -(



This blood red rose on the other hand is my favorite. It has a very lovely scent. I  want to propagate more of the plant, but the plant is growing so slowly.  Well touch wood it seems to doing rather well right now near the fence, almost covered by the crepe ginger and the variegated gardenia.  See how healthy the leaves are, perhaps it is the cooler weather these days with the occasional rain. It looked like it was drying out when I left it on the porch with the other potted plants.  Perhaps it likes the humidity exuded by the plants surrounding it. Well, if this works for it, I will just leave it there.

This cream rose is so far the longest survivor that I have. I have planted it on the ground, hoping it will grow better.  Believe it or not, this rose plant has moods. It will grow well at times, blooms and then seems to go into hibernation. Right now it is in the latter mood. No signs of growth at all!!  



This miniature orange rose was blooming  in abundance  when I bought it.  But after almost 2 years, I have yet to see it bloom like that. Now  I would consider it unusual if it bears more than two roses at a time!!   I have given up on it but it has not given up on me....lol!  Sometimes I almost forget it is still there, surviving under the orange mirabilis.


My neigbour did give me some rose cuttings from her garden.  The cuttings survived but so far has not bloomed at all.  I have them for about six months now.  I hope they are the bright yellow ones that looks and smells nice.  

27th Nov 2010  : Update

 The rose cuttings from my neighbor turn out to be candy pink. I think they are local roses (kampung rose variety), as the flowers smell really nice.  I love it when these plants seem to be doing well.  These rose plants are climbers so I have moved them to the fence for support. They tend to grow long and tall. I asked my neighbor for advise, she said to prune them heavily if I want them growing as shrubs like hers.  However, I feel very 'sayang' to prune them when they are growing so healthily ! 









1 comment:

Unknown said...

hi, am a fellow gardener.. just wondering where to get kampong roses....