Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Growing Fruit Trees ( Part 1 )

This cute little plant is a grafted mangoesteen, yes, none other than the "Queen of Fruits".  Strange that I should  buy this little fella, but then never try, never know. I  have always been fascinated by mangoesteens (love the fruit as well), so I  cannot resist this attempt to cultivate one  beside the house.  The nursery guy said if I am lucky  this plant will start fruiting within 3 to 5 years.  It does not matter, but just see how this one goes.  After all what is RM 13 for a lifetime experience to do what I dreamt of doing.....planting  a mangoesteen tree beside the house. Hope I get lucky. Okay, let us check  out the other  fruit trees  that I am growing.


My son loves the custard apple. The white soft flesh is sweet, but the numerous hard black seeds are an irritation.  We have to spit out  as we  eat the fruit.  The skills of taking this fruit  must be acquired and developed in order to enjoy the sweet fruit.   The plant smells nice too.  The Cananga Odorate  is somehow related to this plant.  The flowers of the custard apple are much smaller in comparison.  I planted two custard apple  trees about a year ago from seeds obtained from a  fruit  a friend gave us.   Both  trees are already bearing  their  first fruits.

A papaya tree is a common sight in villages.  When we were growing up, there was always a papaya tree in the backyard. So when we moved here, I was determined to create the  country side atmosphere, and immediately set about planting these papayas outside of the house compound.  I planted  about 5 or 6 and all looked very promising until they start to flower....and one even started to fruit (left hand side). Well errr....  not many, just about 6 precious fruits,  then 'gone case' ! One by one  the papaya trees started to yellow and drop leaves. We checked around, some people said not enough water, no I definitely watered religiously....then some said too much water --- hardly possible given the hot weather.....!  Finally with no solution to sight, I had to remove the sickly trees.  I purposely dug out  one plant to check the roots....but  there were no rooting roots, just that the roots seemed stunted.  Okay, so I am not going to be a brilliant papaya fruit cultivator.....! Growing papaya for fruits is not as easy as in the old days. Perhaps it  is something to do with the species.  Anyway  let me not  gripe and grumble .... as they say, " I will be back" ! 

Interested to hear  about how naive and over enthusiastic  I was  for a  first timer ? I was at this nursery when  I saw this strange creeper with all the green fruits so lovely looking......Wow, I asked the nursery fellow what plant is that ? It looked  like the 'lohan kuo fruit' (the fruit we bought from the medical hall  which is all dried up and brownish-black). Yes, was the reply, so I thought I will try growing one of this creeper myself. At the nursery the creeper was allowed to wind around a pole and it did not take up too much space. I naively thought no problem, I could do it.......haha, self delusional only!  Now a year and half later, what have I got ? A creeper that seems overgrown and hard to control despite me diligently removing the leaves until at one desperate time I trimmed  it all  bare except  for a couple of strangling vines. Well, two months later it looked like it did previously. Before I trimmed it all I was successful with three. fruits.....correct, 3 only, Two dropped half way and one managed to mature for me to taste it.! Was it worth it...hellaluya! Yes, the fruit - as I discovered is the Passion fruit, sweetish, juicy....not bad, if only I can get more out of the creeper! So i give it more time, if still no results,  I wowed to remove it totally, Actually the flowers are beautiful as well, but unlike my purple passion flower these  is more whitish/purple  and no fragrance. Unfortunately I have no photos to show here.  Unlike my passion flower, this creeper despite being a fast grower does not seem to bloom much. 

Last on today's blog, there is the malay gooseberry plant ( Phyllanthus distichus or in chinese - Yu -Kam).  Growing this plant is my younger sister's wish list  item actually.  Admittedly it is a nice plant. and is known to be grown as an ornamental plant in some parts of the world. My  younger sister  bought the plant during one of her home visits a year ago  and we  planted it.   When we were young, my mother had one of this tree behind the old house. We used to be very fascinated by the yellow little fruit that tasted so sour and tart.  Normally my mother will pickle the fruits. Recently a strange thing happened. My younger sister  works in Singapore and she was home again on leave. When she  inspected the  plant, she remarked, " maybe this is not the Yu-Kam, but the Too Bor Seung (Averrhoa bilimbi)" . Both trees looked similar.


Three days after she went back to Singapore, this tiny fruit appeared !  It seemed like this plant is determined to stake its identity. Normally the fruits grew along the branches, not at the tip like this one. Now everyday I checked for flowers, but there were none.  The plant seems happy though, branching out and sprouting leaves.....I imagine it must be happy now that we cannot doubt its identity! 

More on my fruit trees planting endeavors next blog.....!




No comments: