Thursday, September 2, 2010

Growing Fruit Trees ( Part 2 )

I have always loved avocados ever since I first tasted them.  So when I noticed my mother's neighbor has a tree, and the tree was laden with fruits, I  was full of hope that  I  can  plant one as well.  I asked  the auntie  for a couple of  fruits, and in no time I had a baby plant from  one of the seeds . One can imagine how excited  I was!  The auntie was very nice and  even offered me the baby plants that were sprouting up around the mother plant. I dig up one plant, and planted  it  behind my mother's house. However, the maid  neglected to water it and it did not survive.  Therefore I was a bit worried that my precious baby plant will not survive either, and watched over it like a hawk!   When the plant was young, it needed moisture and the leaves protection from the hot sun.  Aphids and mealy bugs attacked the young plant, but with some malathion I took care of them.   I surfed the net to get  information on cultivating avocado plants in Malaysia.  I would like to recommend my readers to  Dr Francis Ng  (refer http://tropicalhorticulture.blogspot.com ) who  has a good article written on avocados in Malaysia ( May 27, 2007). 

This is my avocado plant and it is beautiful, isn't it?  It is now about 5 feet tall. The leaves are so big and green.  I already have it for almost two years now.  The avocado fruits apparently are suitable for old peoples' digestive system. I tell my children I want to enjoy the fruits from this plant during my old age.  Ahh.... it is a long patient wait to taste the first fruits from the Avocado, but I can wait. Apparently some trees are said to be able to bear fruits in 5 years, some 10 and others never even bear fruits until 20 years. I guess it all depends on the species, and the environment.








 Initially, aside from the papayas and avocado, I was pondering what other fruit tress to grow outside the house compound when  there came an e-mail that expounded on the many benefits of the Kedondong fruits (ambarella).  Actually I was a bit hesitant  about the kedondong as it is prone to black mould attack and the fruits too sour to eat, especially as the sourness can be a bit harsh on the teeth.  Juicing the fruits is okay.  The plus side of this plant is it grows fast and is bears fruits early, and easily.  My kedondong was already bearing fruit  just after four months of growth.  It was a small plant when I bought it from the nursery.  


Our family loves the jack fruit. It is one of the fruits that one can enjoy the whole year round. Since our place can be rather hot, being exposed to the sun, we thought the jack fruit tree will be ideal to provide shade as well as fruits in future. My husband is a bit worried that it will grow too big, and a problem to maintain. I told him we will cross the bridge when we come to it.  Right now I keep pruning of the branches on top so it will branch sideways instead of just growing upwards. When the plant was small I was scared to cut it as I read that the main trunk might rot, so I am rather careful when cutting the plant stalks, especially the thick milky sap the oozed out.  After having planted it for almost 2 years now, it is already taller than me. Once I saw something similar to a bud, but it soon dropped, so perhaps I am mistaken.  Amazingly one article I read that if the plant is from good stock, it will bear with 18 months....rather unbelievable, isn't it?
The mulberry fruits and leaves are supposed to benefit the eyes.  I am rather fascinated by the mulberry plant and rather like the sweet tartness of the ripe fruit. The mulberry plant is easy to propagate by cuttings. The cuttings take root very fast. I have about five bushes of mulberry as a result of over-enthusiasm for some plants to grow when we first moved here ..... I know I have to remove some soon.  Actually the mulberry do not take up much space, just got to keep trimming it and it will bear fruits.


A mango plant is a must I supposed, we got two types, the Harum Manis and the Raja Pelam. The Harum Manis seems rather stunted even after almost 2 years, but I refused to give up on it.   About 8 months after we took it back, it started to bloom and even bear a fruit !  All seemed well until one day a naughty monkey  caused havoc and stole the mango (with its netting as well)/........... Later  I  found the half eaten fruit and netting in the drain.   The Raja Pelam on the other hand seems to be doing well. From the photos you can guess which is which! 

 
Well wish me luck with my fruit trees.............

No comments: