Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Schefflera arboricola (Umbrella Plant)

When we stayed in Penang, there was this Umbrella Tree growing  beside the staircase going up to our flat. It was a big tree and it  bore flowers too. The flowers were nothing spectacular, but it somehow attracted many birds.. perhaps for the seeds.  My children used to love watching these birds from the balcony. The plant that I have now was actually  grown from a cutting from a plant at my mother's house.   I was not too sure if  I would be successful in propagating this plant  since the  plant was  in really bad shape.  The plant had been neglected sitting in a corner,  seems like everyone had forgotten about it.  It was almost all dried up,  hardly any leaves,  and the thin aerial roots running all over trying to look for water perhaps....(lol).  The soil was hardened and the plant had not been watered in ages.  I pruned the plant and its roots and replanted  using  fresh soil, and  luckily  being a tough plant, it  survived !  From the discards  I chose the ones that I  felt would  most likely able  to grow. 


I was relieved and amazed to see at least one cutting  take root and grow.  It took a while  to adjust  and in fact at one point I thought it  wasn't going to make it.  Now it is growing very  well.  It is now  more than a year old  and  see how well and healthy this plant is !   Notice how perfect and lovely the leaves formation is --- it is obvious  why they called it the Dwarf Umbrella Plant.  I like this plant a lot as it is forever green.  I have seen the variegated variety, and perhaps I might add that  to my collection one day.  Meantime I am really delighted with the one I have now. Perhaps it is high time I prune it to give it some shape, but I feel reluctant to do  so - seeing how well it is doing now.  

I placed this potted plant  exposed to the morning sun.  In the afternoon it has a bit of shade from the bigger plants beside it.  It takes to regular watering, but once a while it is okay  to let it dry out.  



No comments: