Wednesday, October 20, 2010

What is My Name?

LOL ----- no, no don't get me wrong, I am referring to this plant ! Can anyone tell me what is this plant's name? It  is another one of those plants that belonged to  my childhood memories.  This plant is interesting because the bean pods sticks easily to clothing - skirts, pants, socks......! As children, my siblings and I enjoyed picking the bean pods and stick for fun ....all child's play then. Those days we did not  have  play station, electronic toys, computers ....etc ! We played with whatever that interests us.

Some years back a relative came by my mother's house and asked for this plant. She called it "Bua Cao".  (teochew dialect). Apparently somebody was getting married or something and this plant is one of those they used to ensure everything goes smoothly, a charm to ward off evil or bad omens sort of thing .   I am not too sure how they use it, as such superstitions do not interest  me.  For me if things are to happen, they will happen.  Anyway  my mother said having  this plant in the garden is good as it will protect the other plants. So,  when I caught sight of this plant in the market one day, I decided to buy it, none other than in memory of what my mother said, and partly for  the sake of childhood memory.  This herbaceous plant  won't grow too big and will not occupy much space. 
 
Actually this plant is  rather nice looking, look how shapely the leaves are, angular and pointed  at the tips, not to say very green, a  pleasant green. The plant has small flowers,  but nothing special. The bean pods are interesting though, they are so sticky which is their mode of distribution.  I have yet to see pests  near the plant, so it is pest free from those mealy buds, aphids, etc...  This plant grows easily from the dried seeds.


Well unless someone knows the name of this plant and informs me, I will continue searching for its name.  Meantime how about  calling it  " Stick Me Not " --  :-)  !

No comments: